In today’s digital world, we are constantly exposed to electronic devices like our phones, laptops, and appliances that run off electricity. While these gadgets make our lives better and more efficient, they may also cause electrical surges that could harm your home’s electrical panel.
That’s where a whole house surge protector comes in. In this blog, we will talk about the pros and cons of whole-house surge protector and everything that comes along with having one installed. Read on!
What is a whole home surge protector?
House surge protectors are devices that help protect all electronic devices from power surges that occur in an electrical system. It is designed to prevent damage to your electronics by absorbing the excess energy from a power surge and diverting it away from your home’s electrical system. This helps to prevent damage to your appliances and electronics, as well as extend their lifespan.
Why would you need whole house surge protection?
We mentioned that whole home surge protectors divert the power surge away from your home, so let’s discuss it further in simpler terms.
Here are the reasons why whole-house surge protectors are a must for your household:
- Protects all electrical devices from power surges caused by lightning strikes, power grid fluctuations, and other electrical disturbances
- Prevents damage to sensitive electronic equipment, such as computers, televisions, and appliances
- Helps reduce the risk of electrical fires and other safety hazards that can result from power surges
Pros and Cons of Whole House Surge Protector
Now that you know the reasons why your home would benefit from surge protection devices, let’s talk about the pros and cons of these devices in your home’s entire electrical system.
- Protects all electronics: One of the biggest advantages of a house surge protector is that it protects all electronics in your home. This means that you don’t have to worry about individual devices being damaged by power surges.
- Provides constant protection: A house surge protector provides constant protection to the devices in your home.
- Reduces the risk of electrical fires: Whole home surge protection devices reduce the risk of electrical fires by preventing power surges from occurring in the first place.
- Saves money: Replacing electronic devices that have been damaged by power surges can be expensive. By investing in a house surge protector, you can save money by avoiding the cost of replacing damaged electronics.
- Increases the resale value of your home: A house surge protector is an attractive feature for potential homebuyers. Installing one can increase the resale value of your home.
- Initial cost: House surge protection devices can be expensive to install. However, when you consider the cost of replacing damaged electronics, the cost of installation may be worth it.
- Maintenance: Like any other device, a house surge protector requires maintenance to ensure that it is functioning properly. This can add to the cost of owning one.
- Not foolproof: House surge protectors may provide some protection from power surges, but they are not 100% reliable; there remains the possibility that an unexpected power surge could still cause irreparable harm to electronics in your home
Is it worth getting a house surge protector?
The answer is yes, especially if you live in an area that is prone to power surges. The initial cost of installation may seem high, but it is a small price to pay compared to the cost of replacing damaged electronics.
How long does a surge protector last?
The lifespan of a surge protector can vary depending on the quality of the device and the length of its exposure to power surges. On average, a house surge protector can last anywhere from 3 to 5 years. Regular inspection of your surge protector should help to ensure it is working effectively.
Does a house surge protector protect the HVAC?
A house surge protector guards the electronics in your home, including your HVAC system. HVAC systems are typically equipped with electronic components, such as circuit boards and control panels, that can be vulnerable to power surges.
Consult a Reliable Local Electrician Today!
A whole house surge protector is an investment that can protect the electronic devices in your home. While there are some cons to consider, the benefits of owning one outweigh the drawbacks.
If you are considering purchasing a whole-house surge protector, be sure to consult a reliable electrical contractor that can safely install and inspect these devices.
Assurance Electrical Services has been in service for residential and commercial properties in Arizona. We can help you with the installation, repair, and maintenance of your house surge protectors and ensure your family’s safety against possible electrical surges.
Set an appointment with us here.
Jeff Brandlin is the founder of Assurance Electrical Services, LLC. He started in the electrical industry when he was 21 and had worked in several electrical firms before founding Assurance Electrical. Jeff is dedicated to providing the best quality service to his clients and always puts their needs first. Outside work, Jeff enjoys spending time with his wife and children.